Keen to use your practical skills in a product development environment?
Able to use workshops tools such as bandsaws, pillar drills, disc sanders, etc?
Keen to develop knowledge / skills in 3D printing and rapid prototyping machinery?
This is a truly exceptional opening for a Junior Development Technician to join the product development team of a hugely successful and award winning business which exports its high end electrical products to over 40 countries worldwide.
Based at the company’s HQ in Harlow, Essex, and reporting to the Development Workshop Manager, the Junior Development Technician will assist with all aspects of the in-house product development process by assisting in the creation of models and prototypes and undertaking various forms of in-house product testing. The Junior Development Technician will also be required to process and distribute incoming product samples for the design team, along with adhering to strict development workshop safety procedures and ensuring that workshop equipment is maintained. As part of the role, the candidate will be required to prepare working product samples for sales and marketing purposes, as well as maintaining the upkeep of product display samples.
This is a varied and practical role encompassing tasks that often require a degree of flexibility and self-motivation. As such, the ideal candidate must be able to work effectively on an individual basis and within a team, and take guidance from the Development Workshop Manager and other senior members of the product development team. The Junior Development Technician must ensure that both within their work output and in their professional conduct they fully reflect the business’s Core Values.
The Junior Development Technician must be comfortable working in a workshop environment and using workshop equipment. Training on 3D printing software and rapid prototyping machinery will be provided in-house, but any knowledge of 3D printing and the ability to work from and read dimensional drawings is desirable.
Key Responsibilities include:
- To assist in the creation of prototypes from supplied drawings, in accordance with guidelines.
- Painting and finishing of models and samples.
- Competent and safe operation of all the various workshop, 3D printing and testing machinery.
- To undertake in-house testing of products when required.
- Accurate data logging of test results using PLM and Excel software.
- Process and distribute incoming product samples.
- Create and process working product samples for our sales & marketing team.
- Make amendments to existing product as part of special orders or rework existing product where needed under guidance of the Development Workshop Manager.
- Responsible for maintaining product display samples within the business’s Showroom.
- Responsible for maintaining product display samples around the building.
- Occasionally required to carry out basic building maintenance tasks.
A professional approach to time management and working to deadlines is required and you should have a working knowledge of workshop machinery such as a Band Saw, Pillar Drill, Disc Sander and Buffing Wheel (commonly found in high school Design Technology workshops) and experience in their use.
- Creative flair for making models and working samples.
- Knowledge of general workshop safety.
- Ability to work from and read dimensional drawings