Transport Manager sought by manufacturer of wide range of furniture related products for the retail and hospitality sector and public spaces. Ingenuity, versatility and competence has enable the company to record its best ever trading year in its long history over the last 12 months.
All transport is carried out through third party operations, from Containers out of China to a small parcel delivery to the other side of London – and everything in between! Our client uses a range of companies depending on what is to be shipped, where to/from and what the volumes are. The nature of the business means that delivery of goods in and out of the business is frequently reactive and therefore challenging. Some order picking and collating services are offered to to some of our client’s customers as an added value service.
As Transport Manager you are responsible for ensuring the highest quality of the work and maximizing productivity of your department. You are responsible for the day-to-day management of 6 people within the office, to ensure company's targets and objectives are met to meet internal/external customer requirements in the post-Brexit scenario. You should have the ability to remain focused and deal with problematic situations in a clear and calm manner and other skills sought include:
- Experience in a logistic operational role or haulage business.
- Knowledge of transport methods, costs and benefits.
- Understanding finance and budgets.
- Experience and full understanding of customs and international trade compliance.
- Managing and developing staff.
- Analytical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- The ability to work under pressure within a busy transport office.
- Excellent Communication Skills.
- Accountability and adaptability.
The Transport Manager’s duties encompass:
- Provide a safe working environment, comply and ensure complicity with Health & Safety regulations, the Company Handbook, Quality and Environmental standards, and all other Company policies and procedures
- Ensure orders are processed efficiently and deliveries meets customers’ requirements
- You are to be involved in strategic planning and development and the maintaining of any administrative records
- Take the lead role in planning and costing ensuring enough flexibility is in place to meet the varying and changing needs of customers
- Monitor and coordinate waste disposal and recycling activities in an efficient and environmentally-friendly manner
- Identify and investigate errors and eliminate root cause sustaining corrective actions to eliminate repeat issues.
- Maintain training matrix and ensure employees are adequately trained and competent within their role to ensure operational flexibility.
- Drive absence controls to ensure maximum attendance levels. Administer holidays, sickness and timekeeping effectively
- Creating an inspiring team environment with an open communication culture
- The Transport Manager should lead by setting a good example and engage the team to achieve goals.